How to Survive The Holiday Season: Healthy Eats and Drinks
With the holiday season in full swing, life can get pretty crazy! Parties, shopping, eating…it feels like the madness never slows down. Take a deep breath! If you have practiced good eating habits throughout the year, chances are they will carry over into the holiday season.
Strategies to managing holiday food
- Do not starve yourself before going to a holiday party. You’ll probably eat more than you intended. Instead, have a snack 1 ½ hours before you go to your event. Eat greek yogurt and fruit, string cheese and an apple, turkey slices, or some hummus and veggies, or a hard boiled egg. Make sure your snack is packed full of protein as this will prevent you from going to the party ravenously hungry.
- Choose a healthy appetizer at the party before drinking an alcoholic beverage. Alcohol stimulates appetite so you are more likely to consume more food when drinking on an empty stomach.
- Drink a glass of water between each glass of wine. This will decrease the amount calories and alcoholic beverages you consume.
- Stay clear of the office lounge! Holiday season can be deadly with all the holiday candy on co-workers’ desks and with the cookies, brownies and cakes tempting you in the lunchroom.
- Keep your desk stocked with healthy, tasty snacks so you’re not tempted by all the holiday delectables.
- DON’T BE SEDUCED BY THE CANDY COUNTER. Purchase non-food items for gifts.