4 Memorial Day Weekend Health Tips!
Memorial Day is finally here! That long awaited three day weekend that signifies the start of summer and means sunshine, getting together with friends, and BBQs. If you’re looking to spend the weekend guilt free, follow these simple guidelines.
- Get active!
With the gorgeous weather, getting outside and participating in some outdoor games should be fun. Join the volleyball game, frisbee match, or tag that is going on in your backyard. Enjoy the weather the right way and gain some extra energy to mingle with family and friends!
- Drink lots of water
Drinking water will keep you full and help prevent you from overeating, or drinking too much of those alcoholic beverages. It’ll keep you hydrated in the sun and feeling refreshed.
- Make smart choices
- Trade in those salty potato chips and creamy dip for organic baked blue corn chips and pico de gallo
- Choose corn on the cob with a healthy butter substitute
- Make whole wheat pasta salad with olives, tomatoes, and roasted peppers topped with light balsamic vinegar
- Serve lean turkey burgers
- Serve grilled chicken breast
- Serve nitratefree hot dogs on whole wheat buns
- For dessert, make fruit kebabs by using a wooden skewer to thread together small pieces of pineapple, strawberries, blueberries, mango, watermelon, and kiwi
- Eat in moderation
Don’t overdo the eating. Even consuming large amounts of only healthy foods isn’t good for you. When putting food on your plate, choose a dessertsize plate to control your portions, and keep your drinks limited to 1 or 2.