Help Kids Keep the Weight Off This Summer
When we think about summer, most of us think outdoor fun. So it seems we should
naturally see the weight drop off over the summer – not gain it.
In reality, though summer isn’t all about fun water sports such as swimming and boogie
boarding at the beach. Unfortunately, lots of summer activities can lead to an unhealthy
weight (zoning out in front of the TV). The good news is, kids don’t have to pack on the
pounds this summer.
Here are ways to beat summer weight gain:
1. Limit screen time. No more than 2 hours each day. When we’re bored, it’s easy to
fall into a trap of doing nothing but moving from couch to computer, with regular
stops at the refrigerator. “Mindless munching happens when kids munch in front of
the TV or play video games.”
2. Stay busy. With school out, we lose our daily routines. If you don’t have an
activity planned, it’s easy to sleep late, watch too much TV, and snack more than
usual. Have a dog, why not have your kids take “ruffus” for a daily walk or plan a
regular walk with the kids when you get home from work.
3. Beat the heat. Don’t let the heat stop your kids from exercising. Try takingthe kids bowling, ice skating or to an indoor trampoline park. If you love being outdoors and don’t own a pool, try a local public pool. *Check your community center or even online to see what fun activities you can find for the kids*
4. Provide active outlets. No one to play with, try playing handball or swinging a
racket and tennis ball against the garage. Turn on the sprinklers and get running.
5. Clean out the fridge. If you don’t buy it, they won’t eat it. Stock the fridge with fresh fruits and veggies. Consider keeping hummus, string cheese and lowfat yogurts in the fridge. Feel like a frozen popsicle, how about freezing 100% juice ina dixie cup for some yummy juice pops. Take a look at our PINTEREST page for healthy snack ideas!